Woohoo…….. wait, what??

It’s that time of the year when every second ad on TV, the radio or the net is advertising tax refunds. Woohoo… show me the money, My tax refund… money on the mind… and many more.  The question always is “Which company do I go for to get my money back?”, then it’s “wait…what?? they’re charging how much??”.www.ontrackbookkeeping.co.nz
When these companies are charging upwards of 20%-30%, (or ‘ONLY $39″ with a * and small print…) it’s a no brainer that you should adapt some of that kiwi ingenuity and do it yourself – it’s so easy and it literally only takes about 5 minutes to see if you are owed a refund!
If you only worked for part of the year, worked for more than one employer, or earn less than $48,000 you could be due a refund.
Steps are as follows:

  • Make sure you have registered with MyIR
  • Log into your MyIR on the Inland Revenue website
  • Select the tab that says ‘My income’
  • For the current year IR3, click on ‘check if you’re required to file and IR3 or receive a PTS
  • Follow the process, selecting the relevant options
  • It will then show you if you are owed a tax refund or not.
  • If you are owed a refund, select the option that says ‘Request a PTS’.

And that’s it! Simple as!
(A handy tip is to have your bank details loaded onto your account, that means your refund can be deposited straight into your account, no hassles!)
If you have any troubles along the process, feel free to give us a call and we can help you through it, or check out Inland Revenue

Danie is a guest writer and you will be seeing more from her in the future.

Need support with your business? Our Free Resources will Help